Last modified: July 25, 2016
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about you, including:
- information that, taken alone, identifies you and that can be used to contact you, online or offline (“Personally Identifiable Information”) which may include, for example, your email address, photograph, username and the contents of any User Content submitted by you;
- information about you that cannot be used alone to identify you (“Non-Personally Identifiable Information”), which may include, for example, your location and other demographic information, and information about your use of our Services, which may include, for example, internet connection, your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address and other device identifiers.
We collect and/or request information in two ways.
- Information you give us –
- Account Information. When you create an account, you will provide information that could be Personally Identifiable Information (e.g. your username, email address, and photograph and any other information you choose to disclose) or Non-Personally Identifiable Information (e.g. your gender, hobbies, favorite activities, occupation and any other information you choose to disclose).
- User Content. Some features of the Services allow you to submit “User Content” (as defined as information you give us, including any communications, images, sounds and all materials or information, that you submit). As you may share your entries, User Content is information that you choose to be made non-confidential. When you share User Content via the Services, you should think carefully about what you are releasing to others.
- Information we get from your use of the Services –
- Location. “Metadata” is usually technical data that is associated with User Content. For example, Metadata can describe how, when and by whom your User Content was collected and how that content is formatted. You can add or may have Metadata added to your User Content, including a geotag, comments or other data. If your User Content has a geotag, your location will be stored with your User Content. Device-based location services are services that use information such as GPS signals, device sensors, Wi-Fi access points and cell tower identification that can be used to derive or estimate precise location. You typically have to choose to turn such services on or off. If such device-based location services are on, we may receive and record such information.
- IP Address Information and Other Information Collected Automatically. We automatically receive and record certain information from your web browser when you access and use the Services, which may include your IP address, cookie information, hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information. Internet traffic information, such as IP address, is usually assigned in country-based blocks, so it can be used to at least identify the country of your device, and do things such as to provide you with the correct language and locale for search queries. This information is sent as a normal part of Internet traffic. Generally, the Services automatically collect usage information, such as the number and frequency of visitors to the Services. We may use this data in aggregate form—that is, as a statistical measure—but not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of aggregate data enables us, and third parties authorized by us, to figure out how individuals use the Services so that we can improve them accordingly.
- We may also use “clear GIFs” (aka “web beacons” or “pixel tags”) or similar technologies on our Services or in our communications with you to enable us to know whether you have visited a part of our Services or received a message. A clear GIF is typically a one-pixel, transparent image (although it can be a visible image as well), located on a website or in an email or other type of message, which is retrieved from a remote website on the Internet enabling the verification of an individual’s viewing or receipt of a website or message. We may also log information using digital images called web beacons on our Services or in our emails. We may use web beacons to manage cookies, count visits, and to learn what marketing works and what does not. We may also use web beacons to tell if you open or act on our emails. We do not track our users across third party websites and thus do not respond to Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals.
- Information Collected for Push Notifications. When you access the Services through a mobile device, you will also be asked to allow push notifications to be sent to you outside or inside of the App. If you do so, a device token will be generated, which is associated with you until you log out. We will collect and store these device tokens on our servers.
Our Use of Your Information
Lifechime is a preservation platform for life moments and reflections; to further that purpose we may use your information, in either aggregated or individual form, in the following ways:
- to archive and share entries with other people as part of Lifechime’s mission to preserve the stories of families across generations;
- to communicate with you for marketing purposes, unless you “opt-out” (our marketing emails tell you how to opt-out, although we may still contact you for non-marketing purposes if you opt-out);
- to communicate with you and respond to you regarding the Services, content, features and products you use;
- to customize and optimize the content or advertisements you receive when you use the Services, and otherwise improve your experience on our Services;
- to provide, maintain, protect, analyze, understand and improve our Services, content, features and products, which may include tracking traffic, trends, usage and navigation patterns;
- to publicly display to other users of the Services your username, photograph, location, audio recording and metadata and any other information you choose to disclose in connection with any User Content you upload to the Site or App;
- to protect our, your or third-party rights or interests;
- to develop new services;
- for research and educational purposes;
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information; and
- for any other purpose with your consent.
If you cancel your account and discontinue your use of the Services, we and our third-party partners (including Typeform, Mailchimp, Dropbox, or Google) may continue to retain your identifying information and continue to use any information you have already provided to us including User Content submitted, uploaded or otherwise provided by you prior to your cancellation of your account and/or discontinuance of your use of the Services.
Our Use of Your Non-Personally Identifiable Information
We may share Non-Personally Identifiable Information for the same purposes as our use of your Personally Identifiable Information, except that we shall not include your username, email address or any other information that can be used to identify you.
Sharing Personally Identifiable Information
We may share Personally Identifiable Information with third parties, partners and affiliates in order to provide you with a service you use or request. For example, the Services may use storage services provided by a third party, such as Dropbox (“Dropbox”). Lifechime may share your Personally Identifiable Information and User Content with Dropbox so that you can create User Content to upload to the Services. To clarify, though we reference Dropbox, it is merely an example of the third party services which may receive your Personally Identifiable Information through your use of the Services and this Section applies to any and all third party websites, services and applications that you access through the Services or that are used or will be used by Lifechime to provide the Services, even if not expressly named herein.
We may share Personally Identifiable Information in response to (1) a valid law enforcement request or legal process, (2) to protect our rights and property or those of third parties, or (3) as otherwise permitted by law.
Additionally, we may disclose your Personally Identifiable Information without your consent in the following circumstances:
- if we believe there is a serious and imminent threat to the life, health or safety of yourself or another person (for example, if we learn that a person is suffering abuse or has made statements of an intent to commit self-harm or harm another);
- to investigate or report on activity which we believe on reasonable grounds to be unlawful;
- if disclosure is required or authorized by law (for example, in response to a subpoena or where a regulatory authority has the power to request the provision of certain records or information);
- if disclosure is reasonably necessary to enable an enforcement body to perform its functions (for example (1) the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offenses, (2) the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or (3) implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal); or
- if we deem it necessary in our sole discretion to protect our legal and legitimate business interests.
Third Party Sites
Protecting Your Information
We have used reasonable efforts to help safeguard your information. We make no guarantee that these reasonable efforts will make your information completely secure.
Minors and Children Under Age 13
We require a parent or legal guardian’s consent before collecting, using or disclosing information from people between 13 and 18 years of age.
We are committed to complying with all aspects of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). The Services and content on the Site and the App are not directed at children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect, solicit or store Personally Identifiable Information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register or use the Services.
If you are under 13, please do not attempt to use or register on the Services; no one under the age of 13 may provide any Personally Identifiable Information to the Company or on the Services.
In the event that we learn that we have collected Personally Identifiable Information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information where reasonably possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please send a detailed message to email@example.com.
Information Related to Advertising
To support and enhance the Services, we may serve advertisements and allow third parties advertisements through the Services. These advertisements are sometimes targeted and served to particular users and may come from third party companies called “ad networks.” Ad networks include third party ad servers, ad agencies, ad technology vendors and research firms.
Advertisements served through the Services may be targeted to users who fit a certain general profile category and may be based on (1) anonymized information inferred from information provided to us by a user, including Personally Identifiable Information, (2) usage patterns of particular users, or (3) your activity on a third party website. We do not provide Personally Identifiable Information to any ad networks for use outside of the Services.
California residents may choose to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes or choose to opt-out of such disclosure. To make a request or to opt-out at any time, please contact us at legal@Lifechime.com or the other contact information provided below. Our policy is not to disclose Personally Identifiable Information collected online to a third party for direct marketing without your approval.